Call for Submissions: International Girl Gang Underground Zine
THE INTERNATIONAL GIRL GANG UNDERGROUND compilation zine aims to document and dissect how Riot Grrrl's legacy has manifested twenty years later, as well as provide guidance for those who want to transform "revolution girl style now!" into "REVOLUTION GIRL STYLE FOREVER!"
If Riot Grrrl doesn't resonate with you or your cause, that's okay! We also want to know about all the do-it-yourself, grassroots music movements currently being run by women/girls/trans/genderqueer/queer folks today.
We want your submissions! Talking points include, but are not limited to:
- ESSAYS ON...
- What would a modern-day "Riot Grrrl manifesta" look like?
- The successes and failures of Riot Grrrl and what we've learned from them
- Your experience as an immigrant grrrl, genderf**king boy, revolutionary pornographer, Muslimah punk, working class queer, etc
- REPORTS ON...
- What was your experience as a Riot Grrrl in the '90s?
- What's going on in your community that supports feminist & queer DIY musicians today?
- Scene reports from regional DIY music scenes that traditionally are lady- and queer-friendly (London, Berlin, NYC, or your town)
- Individuals who are making a difference--musicians, activists, writers, whomever!
- "Where are they now?" (Riot Grrrl edition)
- "Get off the Internet and meet in the street"
- Reclaim feminism for the 4th wave
- Organize conferences, protests, benefits, etc
- Combat the "dude-first" mentality of your music scene
- Use new technologies to organize effectively
- Start a band/go on tour/create a zine/etc
- Create spaces for working class, POC, international and rural women and queers
- BAND/ZINE/COLLECTIVE/ACTIVIST GROUP INFO...
- We're creating a directory for the International Girl Gang Underground--send along info on your project to be included!
- Print, digital, audio, video, whatever--so long as it's in an easily rendered format for a black & white zine or can be included on an accompanying CD-R for distribution, we want it!
Guidelines for submission
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN MAY 31st, 2010, 11:59PM PST.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE OPTIMIZED FOR B&W PRINTING.
Send 3 copies per submission to:
Attn: K. Wadkins
198 Greenpoint Ave. #3
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Preferred formats: video & music: CD-Rs only. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS.
Email your submissions to email@example.com
Preferred formats: "print": .doc, .rtf, or Google Doc // photo/art: .jpg or .png (300 dpi) // video: .avi // music: .mp3
Please zip 5+ MB files in .zip or .rar format, upload to megaupload.com, and email us a link.
A Note About Copyright
We plan on launching a companion website to the zine that will host all content and be made freely available for others to download, share, and remix so long as the original author (that's you!) is given credit. Therefore, we have decided that all work accepted for publication will be licensed under a Creative Commons Share Alike-Attribution-Non-Commercial license, with the original authors retaining copyright. For more information about the benefits of using Creative Commons, visit CreativeCommons.org.
Please note that you may choose to retain traditional copyright restrictions on your work. Doing so will not impact the submission process. Please send along written instructions with your submission, if you wish to do so.