Freedom Center - Healing Voices Video
Freedom Center is a Western Massachusetts support, advocacy, and activism community for people labeled with severe mental illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar, and OCD.
They are a living alternative to mainstream care, offering yoga, acupuncture, writing groups, human rights advocacy and public education. They are creating compassionate, non-coercive and holistic alternatives for people in extreme emotional states.
Freedom Center's goals are:
- to end all force and coercion, including involuntary treatment and forced drugging;
- to ensure access to resources such as housing is without strings and not conditional on treatment "compliance;"
- to defend human rights and ensure protective laws and regulations are enforced;
- to ensure all treatment decisions are based on true informed consent and accurate information about risks;
- to change drugging as the medical standard of care for psychosis;
- to end all psych drugging of children and offer alternatives instead;
- to support effective alternatives such as nutrition, exercise, holistic health care, nature and animals;
- to provide voluntary, non-paternalistic social supports such as peer-run programs, housing, income, and individual and family therapy;
- to create Soteria House-style options;
- to expose psychiatric and pharmaceutical industry myths, propaganda, and corruption;
- to end wasteful bureaucracies and expensive professional elites;
- to break the silence around trauma and abuse;
- to end fear and misunderstanding of "madness" and extreme states of consciousness;
- and to make common cause with progressive movements for social justice and ecological balance.