The Safe Houses Project
IRAQ: Emergency Shelter, Human Services and Protection for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People:
IRAQI LGBT started to establish a network of safe houses inside Iraq in March 2006.
As of today, we have only two safe houses open and running funded by HIVOS a Dutch based human rights organization.
The members of our group inside Iraq urgently need funds to open at least four safe houses. These funds will allow us to keep the four safe houses open and running, and provide safety, shelter, food and many other needs for our LGBT friends inside Iraq. Any funds we receive that go beyond what we need for these four safe houses could be used to open more safe houses in the near future. We desperately need to add more because we have so many urgent cases in other cities. We receive requests for shelter every day, but we are not able to help yet.
Every safe house has around 200 square meters of living space, but harbors 10 to 12 people, so is very overcrowded. The residents are struggling badly because of the shortages of almost all the basic necessities in Iraq.
Rent: We have paid three months rent in advance. The most recent payments were in August. The average rent per safe house per month is $ 600 US Dollar.
Security: We paid the salaries of two guards per house, at $ 200 US Dollar per guard per month.
Other expenses of each house: We have paid $ 600 a month for each house approximately for natural gas and kerosene for cooking, and for food, fuel for generators which provide the electricity supply.
Urgent priority needs: Our priorities at this stage are: natural gas or kerosene for cooking and heating; fuel for generating electricity; food; mobile phones and calling cards; money for transportation to allow residents some freedom of movement; beds, mattresses, blankets, sheets and pillows; cameras; printers; two computers; house supplies, such as cooking pans, dishes, and flatware; some furniture; clean water for drinking and bathing; soap for washing and bathing, tooth paste, razors and of course housing, guards etc.
Amount needed and how it would be spent (per month):
- Natural gas or kerosene for cooking and heating - 50 GBP
- Fuel for generating electricity – $ 300
- Food - $ 600
- Mobile phones, calling cards, and internet café charges - $ 450 etc.
- Transportation – $ 250
- Beds, mattresses, blankets, sheets and pillows – $ 1,300 – onetime payment
- Cameras – $ 100 – onetime payment
- Printers – $ 100 - onetime payment
- Two computers – $ 1,200 - onetime payment
- Kitchen supplies, such as cooking pans, dishes, and flatware – $ 400 – onetime payment
- Some furniture – $ 500– onetime payment
- Clean water for drinking and bathing; $ 250
- Toiletries (soap for washing and bathing, tooth paste, razors etc.) – $ 150
We also need to pay for medicines for the members of our group, doctors will come and have a home visit monthly for all members their cost is $ 400 US Dollar each month.
- Iraqi LGBT Annual Report and Financial Statements For the period ending 31 May 2009
- Human Rights Watch Report Says
- Report: The Iraqi anti-LGBT pogrom
Ali Hili - Iraqi Lgbt - Chair
22 Notting Hill Gate
Unit # 111
London , W11 3JE
Mob: ++44 798 1959 453
Website : http://iraqilgbtuk.blogspot.