A Very Gay Agenda Indeed
Who in the pink community hasn't heard stories of the "homosexual agenda"? I know the first time I heard about it, my first thought was "WTF?" - but seriously now, there are some people and groups of people out there who really think it exists. We all know the type, the maniacal wing-nuts who can't even bring themselves to use the word "gay" and use the insulting alternative "homosexual" instead. The whack-jobs and nut-cases that claim gay people are 'sinners' who could just 'choose' to be straight on a whim and stop sinning, that they are 'anti-god' and after "special rights" and that we "recruit" through pedophilia and so on... because as they say "everybody" knows that the real "gay agenda" is that we are after their children. Who among us hasn't heard all the hateful, nasty and paranoid things they say about us?
"Talk about gays and gayness as loudly and as often as possible.""Portray gays as victims, not as aggressive challengers.""Give homosexual protectors a just cause.""Make gays look good.""Make the victimizers look bad.""Get funds from corporate America."
- "Talk about gays and gayness as loudly and as often as possible." Funny thing, it seems they like to persecute gay people for being gay, and even more so for being gay in public. I wonder why it is wrong to be seen holding hands in public, whenTHEY do it? Kissing in public? - THEY do it. Speak with a "gay accent" - when THEY speak with a "straight accent"? Being gay (i.e. being themselves) in public - when THEY are straight in public... Need I continue? And yet when we dare to be unashamed of who we are, it is all part of some kind of sinister agenda. Hmm. Food for thought?
- "Portray gays as victims, not as aggressive challengers."Well, shucks - that part is easy - made so by their aggression against diversity. Ever seen Christians thrown out of church for being heterosexual? No? But yet Christians are thrown out of church for being gay. Ever seen people fired for being too straight? Heard of anyone evicted from their homes because the landlord thinks straight people are sinful deviants and pedophiles? Ever hear of some straight victim getting "straight-bashed" by a gang of rabid homosexuals? Or a man who was murdered and hung dead on a cattle fence because of his heterosexuality? "Portray" gay people as victims indeed! Shucks, why on Earth would anyone think gay people are victims?
- "Give homosexual protectors a just cause." How is standing up to an all-out war on human rights not a "just cause"? How is the destruction of a community's human rights, equality, right to equal protection under the law, dignity, respect and civil rights just? I think the idiots that drafted this sanctimonious rubbish need their heads kicked in. In fact, any group that can claim "morality" while trying desperately to turn innocent people into scapegoats and targets for their own bigotry can only be called hypocritical at best. If the pink community today is challenging their bigotry aggressively then it is not without just cause or good reason.
- "Make gays look good." I'm sorry, but the worlds fashion designers are mostly gay - and we all know how much style gay men have in general - I doubt it requires much effort to make the pink community "look good". Imagine how bad they would look without gay people in the world - all dressed in boring repubican blue suits and red, blue and white ties, sporting pee-pot hairstyles... oh, wait - that's how they look already.
- "Make the victimizers look bad." Actually we don't need to try very hard - they do this all by themselves. Take for example the anti-gay rally in Uganda a few months ago where Exodus International leaders encouraged hate crimes and the killing of gay people - even blaming the Rwanda genocide on gay people! How about James Dobson, who for decades has distorted research and used junk-science - and religion as a weapon against diversity? Paul Cameron - one of the right wing radical groups chief propagandists, advocates extermination - in effect, genocide for the pink community. Bad? I would call that an understatement.
- "Get funds from corporate America." Sure, how can a minority group with no infrastructure to speak of tap into an abundant financial resource like corporate America - at least as effectively as the radical religious right can, with it's network of corporate sponsors, para-religious organizations, civic groups, donors and sponsors? In the Proposition Hate battle last year alone, James Dobson of Focus on the Family donated 8 million USD to the fight to strip American citizens of their equal civil right to marry - and churches sympathetic to this hateful cause helped out too. When it comes to corporate funding these folks are the very last who should open their mouths and point fingers.
The "homosexual agenda"? It is fairly easy to debunk this nonsense by applying a little simple logic and common sense. It is abundantly clear that it is a prize chunk of propaganda, no more, no less. In any case, it is shameful to denounce the legitimate struggles of a group for its freedom and equality as a sinister "agenda". If there is any agenda that needs fearing, it would be theirs.
(Posted at Sour Grapes)